OUR NUTRITIONAL APPROACH TO HEALTH PROBLEMS
FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE - SCIENCE BASED NUTRITION
Our natural health solutions are based on scientific and objective testing that may include blood, urine, saliva, stool, and hair. Our comprehensive report to the patient provides individual, drug-free recommendations to promote optimum health based on imbalances and dysfunction identified from the test results.
For example, we utilize Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis to assess GI function and diagnose problems with digestion including reflux, constipation, diarrhea, irritable bowel disease, etc.
We utilize salivary hormonal testing to assess female menstrual or menopausal problems such as PMS, hot flashes, etc.
Often we see patients with a myriad of elusive symptoms and complaints that have
not been successfully diagnosed or treated over the years. Often here we may utilize food allergy or other testing to help identify a potential underlying cause.
Blood testing is also used to identify abnormalities in numerous areas including, for example, elevated cholesterol levels and elevated blood sugar levels found in diabetes. These and the above are all conditions that can often be very successfully helped naturally without the use of drugs, utilizing specific, appropriate nutritional and dietary programs that we tailor to your specific condition.
Early Detection and Correction: Keys to a Healthy Life
Many problems are identified in the blood long before you actually experience symptoms. Certain tests, when read properly, will indicate that you are progressing towards a serious illness such as cancer, diabetes, liver, heart, or many other diseases. Beginning with a comprehensive blood test, your Center for Health trained health professionals will perform an in-depth analysis of your total system. Problem areas are identified and carefully correlated with major and minor conditions that may lead to serious illness.
WHY OUR PROGRAM WORKS
No general screening test is more efficient, effective and affordable than a comprehensive blood chemistry panel. It allows the healthcare provider to establish a baseline of biomarkers to track your health and nutritional needs. Getting a blood test is essential to understanding your current health.
Our program is an innovative, science-based look at nutritional strengths and weaknesses through an individual's blood tests as well as appropriately indicated analyses of urine, saliva, hair, and stool. This scientific approach can offer a clear plan for your optimum health.
As a result, our program gives us the tools that can reveal the more subtle imbalances and assist you in correcting them.
Most blood tests are compared to "Normal Ranges" in your lab report. If you are within the "Normal Range" you will most likely be told you are normal, which can be confused with being healthy. It does not necessarily mean you are healthy, as many people incorrectly believe.
Why not? The problem lies in how Normal Ranges are determined.
Normal Ranges are determined by taking approximately 100 to 200 people who tested recently with a particular lab (yes, they are determined by each individual lab and not a centralized agency). These results are then averaged - this is the middle of the Normal Range. The high and low sides of the Normal Range will be two standard deviations from the average.
Unfortunately, these results are flawed. This is because most of the people's results used in these calculations were having blood tests run in the first place because they already had a health problem!
Does it make sense to compare your blood test results to averages taken from people who were already experiencing symptoms? No. That is why being "normal" is not good enough! Normal blood test scores simply mean you are not yet as sick as the other people used to determine the normal range.
WHAT WE OFFER
A Comprehensive Nutritional Analysis: This will determine
- How healthy you really are
- What problems are just beginning
- What diseases you have
- What dietary and lifestyle changes you should make
- If the vitamins you are taking are working
Starting with a consultation and then an examination, we will determine the testing that should be done. Using bloodwork and other diagnostic tools, an in-depth analysis of your body function will be performed. The testing will show where the problem areas are occurring or just developing.
A Personalized Detailed Report and Nutritional Plan
From this we will create a personalized, detailed nutrition and lifestyle report. Your detailed report will explain your test findings, as well as the nutrient and dietary recommendations based upon your test results. It will contain the following:
- Complete laboratory analysis to document and monitor current disease processes and tendencies toward disease.
- Color-coded report to quickly identify problem areas.
- Correlation of those test results with your symptoms, lifestyle habits and medication side effects that could contribute to any imbalances.
- Comprehensive list of lifestyle changes and nutritional supplements recommended based upon your individual test results.
Nutritional Counseling and Personalized Meal Plans
We also offer nutritional counseling and guidance for those patients that need assistance in implementing the program. This service can optimize your ability to both get better and to stay better by providing personalized guidance all along the way through the program.
Just like your fingerprint, your blood chemistry and metabolism are unique. In light of this, our nutritional program is designed to fit your specific, individual needs.This is then followed up by a retest in several months to assess your progress.
It should be clearly stated that if, in our evaluation of your findings, we feel your condition requires medical intervention we will refer you to the appropriate health care professional. However, many or most of our patients are already on many medications for health problems and they are looking for an alternative way to further improve their health.
OUR GOAL IS TO IMPROVE AND RESTORE YOUR HEALTH NATURALLY UTILIZING DIET AND NUTRITION AND WITHOUT THE USE OF DRUGS OR SURGERY. OUR GOAL IS NOT TO TAKE YOU OFF OF PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS YOU MAY ALREADY BE TAKING, BUT RATHER TO GET YOU HEALTHY ENOUGH SO THAT YOU WILL NO LONGER NEED THEM.
OUR BODY IS A REMARKABLE SELF-REGULATING AND SELF-HEALING ORGANISM. WE ARE SIMPLY TRYING TO OPTIMIZE ITS ABILITY TO DO WHAT IT WAS ORIGINALLY DESIGNED TO DO!
A LOOK AT NUTRITION AND TODAY'S DIET
The nature of today's food supply is one of the major reasons that nutritional supplementation is often needed.
1. Food grown on depleted soil does not have the same nutrients present as food grown on fertile organic soil.
2. Much of today's food is highly refined, thus disturbing the balance of nature and depleting our nutrient intake. One example is in the refining of whole wheat flour to make it white. This process removes most of the B complex vitamins. In re-enriching the processed white flour manufacturers only put back parts of the removed nutrients, and not in any balanced manner. Again, utilizing white flour as an example, the milling process also removes all the fiber and roughage that is necessary for normal colon (bowel) function. While the beneficial effects of fiber is now well recognized, much of our food, and all of our white flour, remains depleted of fiber. This is to not even begin to mention the differences between organic foods that test extremely high for essential nutrients vs. inorganic foods that test deplorably low on vitamins, minerals and basic nutrients. Simply stated, it is almost impossible to maintain an adequate nutritional status on the standard american diet.
3. High concentrations of certain types of refined food products create a stress to the glandular regulation of our body's chemical balance. One prevalent example of this is in soda pop, where one 12 oz. bottle has the equivalent of 8 1/4 teaspoons of sugar!!! The commonly seen large consumption of this product leads to the stressing of our blood sugar regulating system and contributes to the increasingly high incidence of diabetes. This is not something nature formulated.
4. To combat the increased consumption of sugar and the increasing prevalence of diabetes, our food labs and food manufacturers have introduced artificial sweeteners. There are recognized problems with several of these and some have already been removed from the market. Others, however, are still commonly consumed. One of these, aspartame (also known as "nutrasweet" and "equal") is a neurotoxic substance with many adverse effects on the body. In this instance, some people react more adversely than others. This is not something nature formulated.
5. There is an increasing consuption of products from fast-food chains. These are often exceedingly high in fat and contribute both to the increasing obesity seen in our country today as well as to elevated cholesterol and heart disease.
6. Food producers and manufacturers continue to put more and more chemicals and additives into our food and more and more pesticides and pollutants into our environment. Unfortunately, too little time has elapsed to adequately assess the changes in body function and nutritional requirements caused by these chemicals and additives, including food colorings, flavorings, chemical taste modifiers, and preservatives. What is very clear is that some individuals are very sensitive to some or many of these substances and experience a diverse group of symptoms including fibromyalgia type pains, headaches, depression, and noticable personality changes, to name just a few.
7. The processing of foods often creates an increased need for certain nutritional factors. For example, vegetable oils and polyunsaturated fats are hydrogenated by the processor to make the fat solid and more stable and give a longer shelf life. These fats are called trans fats and require us to utilize more of the nutrients that break down fat in the body.